LOYALISTS AND THE L.O.B.A.
Approximately 20 years ago, while searching for United Empire Loyalist ancestors, I discovered a second cousin who was the Grand Mistress of the Ladies' Orange Benevolent Association of Canada (L.O.B.A.). Early Orange Lodges for women, like those of men, were made up of Irish immigrants, however, they quickly absorbed English, Scottish, and German immigrants, including many of United Empire Loyalist descent. The L.O.B.A. was formed in 1894, with the first Lodge established in Hamilton, Ontario.
Front of Banner of L.O.B.A 542
Pictured above is the Banner which was used by L.O.B.A # 542, one of several Lodges that formerly met in Hamilton, Ontario. The photo was sent to me along with an inquiry I received about the Lodge. It is believed to be approximately 100 years old.
In 2021, after several years of research I authored a book of interest to historians and genealogists entitled The L.O.B.A. in Canada. It has lists of ladies Lodges and identifies members. There are also colour and black and white photographs.
While doing research on the L.O.B.A., I was contacted by the niece of a Past Grand Mistress of Canada, Melda Sutherland. She became a member in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the 1920s. After being provided with information about her, I authored a short biography entitled The Grand Mistress and the Ladies' Orange Benevolent Association .
Mildred Ettinger, elected Grand Mistress of the L.O.B.A. of Nova Scotia in 1923, was the wife of Nelson Ettinger. One of his ancestors was Sergeant Lewis Ettinger who served with the 84th Regiment during the American Revolutiom and settled afterwards on land he was granted for his service in Hants County, Nova Scotia. He donated land for St. Peter's Anglican Church in Upper Kennercook, where he is buried.
Further information about the L.O.B.A. appears in a paper that was published by Acadamia Letters in 2022 which I authored entitled The Ladies' Orange Benevolent Association.
Further Reference:
The Grand Mistress and the Ladies' Orange Benevolent Association by Brian McConnell, published in 2021
The L.O.B.A. in Canada by Brian McConnell, published in 2021
The Ladies' Orange Benevolent Associatiion by Brian McConnell, published by Acadamia Letters, 2022